The cabinet table saw is one of the most effective tools in the workshop and it can be used by professionals and hobbyists alike. Its main function is to cut straight lines into a wide range of materials in a quick and efficient manner. If you are looking for a good cabinet table saw that is tailored to your needs, you have come to the right place. This detailed guide will cover everything that you need to know about this tool and will help you identify the best cabinet table saw on the market.
Important factors to know before buying
Like it is the case with any power tool, you need to be familiar with several important features and attributes in order to make an informed purchasing decision. Here are some of the variables that affect the overall quality of cabinet table saws
While too much power might not be needed for light applications, it is advisable to remain on the side of caution and go with a model that can at least produce 1.75 HP. Anything less than that and you will increase your chances of getting an underperforming cabinet table saw that is incapable of delivering an adequate performance.
The best cabinet table saw needs to provide you with enough space for a comfortable and more productive work. To that extent, you should avoid models that have narrow or cramped tabletops.
The weight of the cabinet
If you don’t have any experience working with these tools, this might sound counterintuitive to you; when it comes to cabinet table saws, the heavier the unit the better it is. This is mostly due to the fact that a heavier cabinet is inherently more resistant to vibration which allows it to provide a more stable base for work.
Cabinet table saws are generally safe and the chances of a serious accident are extremely low. However, you still need to make sure that your machine is well-equipped to handle any adverse situation that may arise. An example of this would be an easily-accessible safety switch that is located at the front panel of the machine.
Regardless of the type of work that you are planning on doing, you need to get a sturdy cabinet that can handle the rough tasks that you will invariably put it through. To ensure maximum durability, the main parts of the tool should preferably be made from a solid material such as cast iron.
What Makes a Good Cabinet Table Saw?
A cabinet table saw is one of the most important and perhaps relatively costly tools in woodwork that every pro or upcoming woodworker should have in their storehouse. The above factors will help you get the best quality cabinet table saw in the market that will serve you for a long period. However, you need to have an understanding of what really makes a great cabinet table saw that specifically fits your need as a woodworker. Here are some of the factors that will give you an ultimate guide to the cabinet table saw you are looking for:
- It doesn’t slow down under heavy workloads
Most cabinet saws usually need a single-phase or a three-phase if it is used for commercial purposes. They usually utilize around 220 volts. The advantage of having this voltage is key to every commercial business that receives heavy workloads. In that case, there will be no slowdown in the processing of the workloads.
- It has an accurate table top
Most of the modern cabinet table saws are made from iron which increases the weight of the table making it flat and more accurate in its functions. This will definitely lead to better cuts that you need for greater outputs. If you have a wandering cabinet table saw, be sure that you will lose a considerable number of customers for your poor quality.
- It has accurate table fence
The fence of a perfect cabinet table saw should always be parallel to the blade of the saw at times of your operation. Besides, it must be adjusted properly when need be. There can be very catastrophic kickbacks if the saw blade binds to the wood. This is usually caused by slides and wandering fence when the machine is in operation. However, it should not be sturdy and difficulty in adjusting. The T-style fence is one of the most commonly used.
- Have the correct and safe tilt mechanism
This will depend on which one you are used to in your operations. Most people consider left tilts as safer compared to right tilts. Nevertheless, depending on the position of your machine, you can choose a machine that has either left or right tilt mechanism.
- It has a functional dust collection system
This kind of saw usually produces a lot of sawdust which drops to the dust collection system. You need to keep emptying the system to avoid the dust from kicking back.
- Sturdy miter gauge
This helps you to adjust the angles easily as you are operating the machine. Ensure you have the blade guards in place, anti-kickback pawls, riving knife, paddle-style switch, and blade brake among other features.
Best Cabinet Table Saw Reviews
1 – Powermatic PM1000 1791001K Table Saw 50-Inch Fence
- Cabinet saw that only requires 115V power
- A blade surround and collection hose provide an unobstructed path, maximizing...
- Conveniently located hands free power switch
- Tool-less guard assembly with independent side leaves is easy to use, maximizing...
The PM1000 combines two characteristics that are essential for any top-quality cabinet table saw; it doesn’t consume a lot of energy and it provides a high level of performance. It is equipped with an efficient 1.75 HP motor that requires a mere 115V of power in order to work in an optimal fashion. The saw’s effectiveness is rooted in its decent 50 inch fence that is substantially longer than the average for this price point and features a tool-less guard assembly with independent side leaves, making both easy to use and completely safe. Furthermore, this unit doesn’t collect a lot of dust due to the fact that there is an unobstructed path between the blade and the hose.
The cabinet table saw is equipped with a practical miter gauge that has the capacity to pivot 60 degrees in both sides. This gives the PM10000 a wide range of adjustability and allows for a multitude of cuts.
- The low energy consumption
- Provides great value for the price
- Easy and safe to use
- It doesn’t collect a lot of dust
- It is quite sturdy and durable
- The low horsepower of the motor might be underwhelming for some users
2 – Shop Fox W1851 Hybrid Cabinet Table Saw with Extension Table
- Motor: 2 HP, 110V/220V, single-phase, TEFC (Pre-Wired for 220V)
- Blade tilt: left, 0°–45°
- Table size with extension: 27" X 55"
- Precision-ground cast-iron table and extension wings
This option is the ideal choice if you are an experienced user and are looking for a hybrid model that needs to be assembled from scratch. With the Shop Fox W1824, you get what you pay for, and that is professional grade quality and performance. This unit comes with a plethora of features that guarantee a wide range of functionality that is difficult to match on the market. It boasts a precision-ground cast-iron enclosed cabinet with iron trunnions, which enables the saw to run smoothly and very quietly. Additionally, it has a poly-v serpentine belt that contributes to reducing noise and improving power transfer.
Some additional features include a unique transparent blade guard with internal airflow channel and dust port, a quick-change mechanism that enables the blade guard and riving knife to be easily interchanged, and a highly effective anti-kickback system that protects the backside of the blade.
- An ideal option for professionals and experienced users
- It is highly versatile
- It doesn’t produce a lot of noise
- It has ample horsepower for any type of application
- Not suited for beginners
- It is not easy to adjust one the setup is complete
3 – GRIZZLY G0690 CABINET TABLE SAW WITH RIVING KNIFE
- Arbor speed: 4 300 RPM Arbor size: 5/8-Inch; Maximum dado width: 13/16-Inch...
- Maximum dado width: 13/16-Inch Maximum rip capacity: 291/2-Inch
- Maximum depth of cut @ 90-Degree: 3-1/8-Inch Maximum depth of cut @...
- Motor: 3 HP 220V single-phase Lesson
This is unit is destined for both professionals and hobbyists. The saw is particularly accurate and effective and the dado blades and riving knives give this cabinet the flexibility that will allow you to work on a wide array of projects. The cabinet is well made, extremely sturdy, and comes with an extendable bench that is specifically designed to accommodate long boards and big projects. Another practical quality of the Grizzly GO690 is its peerless capacity to fend off dust and debris, ensuring a clean and safe work environment at all times. When it comes to horsepower, this cabinet runs on a 3 HP motor that requires 220 V of power.
- The motor has decent horsepower
- The cabinet is quite versatile and flexible
- It boasts an effective mechanism that eliminates debris and dust
- It is ideal for professionals and novice users
- The G0690 doesn’t come with leveling adjustments
- The tape measure that comes with the cabinet is not accurate
4 – LAGUNA TOOLS Fusion 36in. Rip 110 V
- Motor:1.75hp 115/230VAC pre wire 115V 1phase
- Blade diameter 10″ Arbor 5/8″
- Built in mobility kit
- Dustless cabinet design
This is one of the most affordable hybrids on the market. While it might not be as powerful as some of the more expensive models, it comes with a multitude of features that make it a worthy investment for anyone on a tight budget. The biggest selling point of this unit is probably the unique and innovative design that enables it to provide more precision and cutting angles than its immediate competitors. Other important features and attributes include the tremendous mobility that it offers and the fact that it requires very little power in order to operate at an optimal level. The overall craftsmanship that went into the making of this model is simply excellent. The frame is solid, the rails are well made, and the attachments fit perfectly into the rails.
- It comes with comprehensive and clear instructions
- It is competitively priced compared to other hybrid options
- The process of setting up the riving knife is intuitive and straightforward
- The housing features a smooth ramp that keeps dust out of the cabinet
- The insert of the blade is made from cheap plastic
- The motor isn’t powerful enough to handle a heavy workload
5 – JET 708675PK XACTASAW DELUXE 3-HORSEPOWER
- Quick release riving knife greatly reduces binding or kickback risk
- Push button arbor lock for rapid blade change
- Poly-V drive belt system delivers efficient, quiet operation
- Left tilt, Wide stance heavy-duty trunnion for stability and smooth blade...
If you want a professional grade cabinet table saw and are willing to invest some money in a premium model, the JET 708675 should be one of the first options that you consider. This unit is powered by a highly efficient 3 HP motor and features a long rip fence that ensures more stability and accuracy when you are working. The stability of the cabinet is further boosted thanks to the lock down system that maintains the right measurements and proper angles of the boars. The cabinet also has an industrial on/off switch that shields the motor from power fluctuations.
- The motor produces a tremendous amount of horsepower
- It boasts a left-tilt design for more convenience and safety
- Is equipped with an extra long 50-inch commercial fence
- It provides vibration-free operations
- The cabinet has an effective lock down system
- Comes with a miter gauge that ensures a high level of precision and consistency
- Assembling the cabinet was a lengthy and arduous process
As you can see, the best cabinet table saws don’t come cheap. These power tools are fairly complex and involve a lot of moving parts. However, you shouldn’t let the price scare you off investing in one. The durability and unmatched stability and accuracy that these tools provide make them invaluable in a workshop.
Last update on 2020-07-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API