In case you haven’t been paying attention to recent developments, the cordless impact wrench is slowly becoming the favorite tool of professional mechanics and hobbyists alike. If you happen to think that a regular cordless drill is all you need, we can safely state that you are missing out on one of the most effective inventions of the past few years. Unlike the drills that can only create an inline torque, impact wrenches have the unique capacity to generate rotational torque. This makes them significantly more effective and impactful than any other tool. Keep reading as we delve into every aspect of these machines and introduce you to the best cordless impact wrench for the money, best cordless impact wrench for automotive and more.
Factors to consider before buying
Like all power tools, impact wrenches can be quite confusing for a beginner. This is further compounded by the manufacturers’ propensity to overhype their products and throw a lot of superfluous and confusing specs at the customer. Fortunately, we have made things extremely simple for you by reducing all the variables down to these few straightforward attributes:
When it comes to any type of cordless drill, this factor is really the be all and end all. While the minimum power will vary from project to project, it is advisable to get a unit that can produce a decent amount of torque. Even if you think that you don’t need that much power, you should stay on the side of caution and get the most powerful model that you can afford. You should also keep in mind that some elements can negatively impact the working torque of the unit, namely rust, and weathering.
The design of a cordless impact wrench isn’t merely a matter of aesthetics. In fact, the quality of the design has a direct impact on the overall functionality and performance of the power tool. The best cordless impact wrenches are often ergonomically designed in a way that ensures better power efficiency, more comfortable grip, fewer vibrations, and an overall improved level of performance. The quality of the handle is especially critical since it plays a significant role in determining the tool’s ability to operate for an extended period of time. The handle should be made from durable materials and must be designed to fit the contours of your hands.
The size of the drive
This is also an important factor that goes unnoticed by most beginners. Before buying an impact wrench, you should check the size of the drive that your unit is compatible with. Make sure to inspect the bolts and nuts that you are planning on working on to see if they have the right size for the model that you want to buy.
The weight of the tool
Determining the ideal weight of a wrench can be quite tricky. On one hand, you want the unit to be made from durable materials and have a certain density to it, on the other, you want it to be light enough to allow for a wide range of movement as well as lengthy periods of work without causing discomfort and hand tiredness. The key here is to get an impact wrench that is right at the sweet spot where the tool can provide an adequate amount of mobility and durability without leaning too much in one direction or the other.
Type of the battery
If you have any experience working with cordless tools, then you are probably aware that not all types of batteries are equal. The two main options that you will encounter on the market are nickel-cadmium batteries and lithium-ion batteries. The former is substantially cheaper while the later runs longer and charges much faster.
This is an absolute must. Regardless of how well-engineered a power tool is, malfunctions and other hosts of issues are bound to occur. That is why it is imperative to check the warranty before making a decision.
Power tools these days come with a wide assortment of extra features that offer a lot of convenience and practicality. Some of these include Led lights that help you work in dark areas and the multispeed switch that affords you the luxury of picking a higher speed when you are doing high-volume applications or a lower one when you are trying to save battery life.
The advantages of using a cordless impact wrench over other tools
- Extra power: As previously stated, the torque that is generated by impact wrenches is substantially higher than that of regular drills. Thanks to this impressive power, you can expect to loosen any type of bolt in a quick manner and with little effort.
- Portability: The mobility that is provided by cordless power tools is simply invaluable. While mobile wrenches come with some drawbacks of their own, you are still getting the convenience of being able to use the tool anywhere you want. As long as you go for models that are equipped with high-quality batteries, you will encounter little to no issues with cordless impact wrenches.
- The impressive speed: Time is of the essence, this ring especially true for professional mechanics that have to meet tight deadlines and work on multiple projects at the same time. Impact wrenches will help you breeze through a high number of bolts in a fraction of the time that would take regular wrenches.
Best Cordless impact wrench reviews
1 – DEWALT DCF883M2 20-volt MAX Lithium Ion 3/8-Inch Impact Wrench Kit
- Compact (5. 70" front to back), lightweight (3. 4 lbs) design fits into tight...
- Three (3) LED lights with 20 second delay after trigger release, provide...
- Hog ring anvil to easily change sockets
- XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge provide 33% more capacity over standard...
As far as the qualities that you would like to see in a cordless wrench, this compact and well designed unit has them all. It delivers a professional grade performance and is perfectly suited for hobbyists and pros alike. It boasts the durability that allows it to handle heavy usage and is powered by a Li-ion battery pack that enables it to operate in a wide range of projects and applications in a very smooth and efficient manner.
Upon close inspection, one of the first things that you notice about this unit is its innovative ergonomic design. It I specifically tailored for the contours of the hand, which allows for a comfortable and secure grip that is extremely helpful during long hours of work. The other aspect that makes this unit such a good option for you is its simplicity. In fact, operating it requires no prerequisites and the instructions are straightforward and clear.
Seasoned professionals who are used to working with tools that are extremely precise and stable will also find the DCF883M2 to be a decent model. More importantly, it is substantially cheaper than the vast majority of professional grade tools and it is ideal for anyone on a tight budget.
- It is lightweight and compact which makes it easy to carry and maneuver
- It has an ergonomic design that allows for a tight and comfortable grip
- The speed of the wrench is adjustable
- The battery life is quite remarkable
- The sockets are easy to change
- It is easy to use for a complete beginner
- The torque is somewhat underwhelming for the price point
- The price might be too high for hobbyists on a budget
2 – Makita XWT041X 3.0Ah 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2″ Square Drive Impact Wrench Kit
- Makita-built motor delivers 325 ft.Lbs. Of max torque, with 1,600 RPM and 2,200...
- Shock absorbent handle protects battery housing for extra durability
- Rocker switch for forward/reverse operation
- Rubberized soft grip handle provides increased comfort on the job
The Makita XWT041X delivers tremendous torque and power and it is easily one of the top models on the market when it comes to this particular aspect. The batteries that power the unit are easy to charge and the flexible mobility that it provides allows you to work on various projects without having to worry about insufficient power issues. Overall, this tool is quite efficient and it is definitely good enough to serve as the main cordless impact wrench for professional work.
This unit is capable of handling a multitude of high-level projects. You can use it for several DIY repairs on your cars, namely changing tires with minimal effort. Furthermore, the high torque that it is capable of generating allows it to operate on much larger vehicles such as trucks or buses.
This cordless impact wrench has several other attributes that are worth mentioning; it is remarkably low maintenance and does not require any specific handling in order to remain functional for a long time. The other feature is a quality that has become sort of a necessity these days; the ergonomic design. Like most of the models that we reviewed, the Makita XWTD41X is designed to ensure maximum comfort whether it is used with or without gloves.
- The batteries can be recharged very quickly
- It is equipped with a built-in LED light
- It boasts an ergonomic design
- The frame of the wrench is extremely sturdy and durable
- The maintenance of this tool is easy
- The shock absorbent handle shields the battery housing from potential damage
- The unit is too heavy and bulky for some tight spaces
- It is not suited for tight bolts
3 – Bosch IWH181-01 18-Volt Lithium-Ion 3/8-Inch Square Drive Compact Impact Wrench Kit
- 25-Percent lighter than the competition
- Most compact - 23-Percent shorter than competitors - Only 6-Inch long, the most...
- Faster and more torque - 2,800 RPM and 1,600 Inch/lbs of torque
- Highest BPM in category - over 3,200 BPM
Bosch is one of the most easily recognizable names in the industry. The company has been making high-quality tools for decades and their brand has become a standard of excellence and immaculate craftsmanship in an industry that is filled with cheap knockoffs and questionable engineering. This cordless impact wrench delivered exactly the level of performance that we were expecting from a model that bares the Bosch name. Not only is this tool easy to grip and maneuver, it boasts the light, short, and compact design that allows it to work in tight spaces and features a flat anvil structure that makes changing sockets an effortless process.
When it comes to the actual power of this tool, it is safe to assume that you won’t be disappointed with what the IWH181 can do. The speed and torque of the motor are simply outstanding, reaching speeds upwards of 2,800 RPM and 1,600 inch per lbs of torque. It also has a BPM that exceeds 3,200, by far the highest in its price range. Other practical features of this model include the built-in led light that enables you to work in dark places and the fact that the battery can hold a charge for an extended period of time.
- The torque that it generates is quite impressive for such a compact unit
- It has one of the highest BPM rates on the market
- Its light and slim design makes it ideal for working in tight spaces
- The battery is extremely effective when it comes holding a charge
- It is easy to maneuver around
- It is a little bit expensive for people on a tight budget
- The locking mechanism needs some major improvements
4 – Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 Fuel High Torque 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench
- Provides maximum productivity by removing stubborn and high torque fasteners up...
- Most compact cordless High Torque Impact Wrench in its class at 8.39" in length
- Industry leading 4-mode drive control with bolt removal mode, allowing for...
- REDLINK PLUS intelligence prevents damage to the tool and battery due to...
This sleek looking impact wrench is as effective as it is stylish. It is only 8 inches in length which makes it the perfect tool for cramped spaces. It is characterized by an impressive torque and an efficient design that enable it to operate on different projects ranging that range from small cars to large trucks. The manufacturer claims that their product is twice as fast as other similarly-priced options, and we can safely state that we have found that statement to be accurate. The motor has the capacity to produce a staggering 1000 lbs/ft of power, which is more than enough to tackle any type of bolt.
As far as mobility and maneuverability are concerned, the light construction coupled with the innovative four mode drive control guarantees comprehensive and comfortable control over the unit. You can expect to work with this impact wrench for hours without experience any discomfort or hand tiredness. This high comfort level is further enhanced thanks to the premium rubberized over-mold that engulfs the frame of the tool. Not only is it effective in facilitating the handling of the unit, but it also adds a layer of protection to its case and gives it the ability to withstand exposure to a host of corrosive materials.
- It is equipped with a rubber over-mold that adds to its comfort and durability
- It generates a high torque of 1000 lbs/ft
- The design is quite sleek and the color is eye-catching
- The tool is light and easy to maneuver
- Its length allows it to operate efficiently in tight spaces
- The battery is a little bit loose and is prone to slipping from the device
5 – PORTER-CABLE PCC740B 1/2″ Cordless Impact Wrench
- Powerful motor produces 330ft/lbs of torque for heavy applications
- Maximum of 1,650 rpm's for driving large fasteners quickly
- 1/2" hog ring for quick and easy socket changes
- Full variable speed trigger for precision control
The last impact wrench in our list is a decent model that was specifically designed for use in the garage. Regardless of the type of vehicle that you are planning to work on, the PCC740B would be a nice addition to the toolkit of hobbyists and professionals alike. All the essential features that you need are included here; a strong motor that can tackle a number of heavy applications, the high RPM that can drive large fasteners in a quick manner, and the variable speed trigger that ensures the highest level of precision control. While this is far from being the fanciest model in our list, it still provides great value for the money and it far exceeds the required minimum for an adequate tool.
This cordless impact wrench was made from heavy duty materials and it is built to handle the rough conditions that are inherently associated with the tasks that it was designed to perform. The manufacturer swears by the durability of this tool and has backed this stance by offering customers a generous 3-year warranty.
- It is backed by a generous 3-year warranty
- It is perfectly suited for use on a wide range of vehicles
- The torque that is produced by the motor is decent for the price point
- The frame of the tool is robust and durable
- It features variable speed which adds to the precision of the wrench
- The process of changing the sockets is quick and intuitive
- It is too long to work in tight spaces
- Some users have reported a discrepancy between the specs and the actual features of the tool
How to Keep your Cordless Impact Wrench Running Perfectly
An impact wrench is one of the handy tools that have come to save the labor and time of most users in our millennial age thanks to technological advancement. With this tool in your hand, you are sure that turning screws, bolts or nuts will not be a hard task for you anymore. Every tool requires to be maintained so as to perform efficiently as needed. For you to extend the lifespan of your newly purchased cordless impact wrench, you need to regularly perform the following practices on it:
- By not using wrong bits or sockets
Many users misuse this tool by even using nails in place of bits. In that case, be ready for several breakdowns within the short lifespan that it will serve you. By using the wrong bits and sockets, you are in great danger of being injured when the machine is operating. Some of the wrong bits used like nails are very loose and when the machine starts rotating at a high speed, the nail is going to disconnect causing great accidents to you. Always use the right bits and sockets for our machine.
- By inspecting its parts regularly
Before you start your cordless impact wrench, you need to inspect every part to ensure that they are in their proper condition. Any part that has signs of damages, should be repaired immediately to avoid further wear and tear. Whenever you switch your machine on and fails to start, it is time to call a qualified technician from the manufacturer to do the repair.
- By keeping it clean
Ensure all the accessories like bits and sockets are free from wet conditions. Protect them from excessive sun or heat. Placing them exposed to humidity and wet conditions will make them rust which in turn reduces their life span and poor quality output. Ensure that all the debris are removed from the machine before storing it to avoid jamming. Store the machine in a dry and enclosed area.
- By not applying excess torque
This will end up destroying your sockets and studs which may lead to injuries and accidents. Always store your cordless impact wrench in a safe place and cover it to avoid elements from reaching it.
- By using on recommended cleaners
Going through the manufacturers’ manual will help you know the right grease and other lubricants to use. From the manual, you will be told the parts to apply the lubricant too. Never use other cleaners that the manufacturer has not recommended.
Whether you are a professional mechanic or a hobbyist, investing in a cordless impact wrench is one of the best decisions that you can make. Adding this effective power tool to your toolkit guarantees that you will never experience the frustration of trying to loosen a rusty bolt ever again. Every single unit that we reviewed here is a strong candidate for the best cordless impact wrench, and it is up to you to pick the one you like the most. Go over the reviews again and check what the customers are saying before making your decision.
Last update on 2020-02-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API