Clogged drains are an inevitable occurrence that is bound to happen to all of us. While calling plumber might seem like the only convenient option, you should know that there are several tools that can help clear your toilet with relative ease. One such tool is the drain snake, a simple and effective contraption that can help you save plumbing expenses. We’ve reviewed the best drain snake on the market today.
The main attributes of the best drain snake
Before buying a drain snake, you need to familiarize yourself with some of the most important characteristics of these tools. Here are a few factors that you should keep in mind:
This is one of the first factors that you should consider. Needless to say, you should get a drain snake that is long enough to reach the clog in your toilet.
The thickness of the cable is a critical factor that is often neglected. The cable should be at least 1 inch smaller than the diameter of the pipe. If you get a drain snake that has a very tick cable, it won’t be able to fit.
Quality of the handle
In order to effectively clear a clog, you need to maneuver the drain snake quite a bit. This can only be achieved if the handle is designed to provide a secure and comfortable grip.
Best drain snake reviews
1 – RIDGID 59787 K-3 Toilet Auger
- RIDGID Toilet Augers feature a vinyl guard to protect porcelain at the throat of...
- Strong compression-wrapped inner core cable with three separate wrappings around...
- 3-foot toilet auger features a 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) toilet auger snake that is...
- Large ergonomically designed handles and corrosion resistant tube makes this an...
Toilet augers are one of the best options for you due to their ability to clear the toilet without damaging the porcelain. Moreover, augers tend to be very cheap and are significantly more effective than plungers. This particular unit features a heavy-duty cable that is further reinforced with three separate wrappings around its central core for added effectiveness and has a sturdy and ergonomically designed handle that is easy to grip. Additionally, the auger is made from high-quality materials that are corrosion resistant and it is designed to last for a very long time.
- This toilet auger is remarkably sturdy and durable
- The price is fairly low
- The handle is ergonomically designed and easy to grip
- It can clear a clogged toilet without damaging the porcelain
- It is very easy to use
- It requires a little bit of force
- Storage could be an issue due to the size of the unit
2 – General Pipe Cleaners R-25SM Spin Thru Drain Auger
- R-25SM Spin-Thru is an easy to use, versatile and economical hand driven drain...
- Convenient 'T' Grip Handle and Drive Knob for easy turning, and full sized Thumb...
- Comes complete with 25 feet by 1/4"" General Pipe Cleaners cable designed for...
- Item Package Weight: 4.0 lb
This small unit is effective when it comes to clearing small drains in your home. It can also be used for minor clogs in your kitchen or in the bathroom sink. Due to its versatility and compactness, this hand snake would constitute a valuable addition to your toolkit. It can get the job done in less than 10 minutes and it will save you the money that you would otherwise have to spend on hiring a plumber. This one is really one of the best drain snake for home use.
- It is very small which makes it easy to store
- It can handle different types of drains
- It is easy to maneuver
- The level of craftsmanship is high for the price point
- There are no instructions explaining how to use the tool
- Not suited for drains that are over a foot and a half
3 – Ridgid 36003 115V K-45AF-5 Sink Drain Cleaning Machine
- This item is used for Handtools & Tool Organizers ,Pliers & Cutters
- A Hardened, Smooth Cone Provides Fast 45Degree Flares Either Single or Double...
- A Single Clamp Screw Provides for East Clamping and Removal of Tubing
- Excellent for Small Line Cleaning
One of the main concerns that users tend to have when looking for a new drain snake is whether or not the unit is powerful enough to effectively clear their drains. If you are worried about the lack of torque in small hand snakes, a powerful tool like the Ridgid 36003 might just be what you need. This professional grade drain snake is powered by a motor and is designed to handle large clogs in various types of drains.
- This tool is extremely effective with large clogs
- It is very light and easy to grip
- It comes with a number of practical power features
- It is easy to store
- The price is relatively high
- More instructions could have been beneficial
4 – FlexiSnake Drain Weasel Sink Snake
- INSTANT CLOG REMOVER: With 360-degree rotation, the Weasel pipe snake...
- EXTRA-LONG DESIGN: Measuring 18 inches in length, deep, hard-to-reach clogged...
- EASY TO USE: Not a plumber? No problem! Our easy-to-use drain opener works in 3...
- REUSABLE "QUICK-CONNECT" HANDLE: Featuring quick-connect technology and a molded...
This affordable drain snake is ideal if you want a simple and cheap tool that is easy to use and store. The FlexiSnake’s effectiveness is owed mostly to its unique hooks; they’re designed in a way that enables them to collect hair, filth, and grime without causing any damage to the pipe or to the toilet’s porcelain. It also boasts an extra-long design that enables it to clear the deep clogs that most units in this price range can’t handle.
- It is easy to use and requires no plumbing prerequisites
- It has a slender design that makes for convenient storage
- The unique design of the hooks ensures that the clog is cleared without causing any damage
- Great value for the price
- It is not very durable
- It isn’t as versatile as advertised
5 – Ryobi P4001 One+ 18V Drain Auger Snake
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
Ryobi is a name that every handyman is aware of. The company has built a well-earned reputation for making some of the most powerful cordless appliances in the market, and this auger snake is a perfect example of that high standard of quality. The P4001 One+ has a number of unique features and attributes that differentiate from other options, namely the convenient auto-lock system that allows it to continuously operate without having to squeeze the trigger, and the proprietary GripZone that allows you to handle the tool without the need for gloves. All these features makes this one of the best drain snake to buy.
- It comes with a lengthy 3-year warranty
- It is equipped with a convenient auto-lock system
- You can use it without professional gloves
- It has a rear drain that prevents water from damaging the tool
- It is too heavy
- It doesn’t come with the battery and charger
How Do You Clean Your Drain Snake?
Clogged sinks, toilets, bathrooms, and drains are things we cannot run from in our daily activities. Such happens especially during heavy downpours that make it difficult for the drain to function properly. Sometimes, your bathroom needs a little unclogging and the water will start draining normally.
One of the tools that every homeowner should have is a drain snake. You don’t have to keep calling a professional plumber to do some sink unclogging while you are there. With this tool, you don’t need some training to use it. It is easy to use and effective if properly used. However, the question is, will you throw it away after unclogging your toilet with it? Of course not, you will need to clean. But how do you clean it? Here is your answer:
Fill some soapy and hot water in a bucket
In order to ensure that the drain snake is fully clean, you will need to use quality disinfectant and hot water. These will kill any germs that could be sticking on the snake. Since you used some money to buy the tool it should not be a hard thing to clean it after use.
Carry them to your garden hose
Of course, you don’t have to do the cleaning in the house that’s why you need to carry it near your garden house for more thorough cleaning. Here you will need to remove the entire drain snake from the plastic tube and let it rest on the ground.
Scrub using a bristle brush
Deep the bristle brush into the disinfected water in the bucket and scrub the metallic part, auger, and the plastic tube. Be careful of the sharp ends of the auger that can injure you when cleaning. You should do the rinsing if possible to ensure that is perfectly clean.
Spray the snake
Using your garden house, spray the snake with water to ensure no dirt is left and clean it using a towel. This is to make it dry properly. You can empty the dirty water in the bucket into the drain and clean them using your garden hose together with the brush. Disinfect them using a bleaching agent to ensure it is clean.
It advisable that if possible you be wearing some gloves and boots to avoid the dirty water getting into contact with your skin. That should be the process of cleaning your drain snake after every use. With that, it will last longer.
A drain snake is without a doubt the most convenient, easy to use, and affordable bathroom appliance that you could invest in. Consider getting one as soon as possible and avoid paying a plumber for something that can be fixed in mere seconds.
Last update on 2020-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API