A drill bit sharpener is an effective tool whose importance often goes unnoticed. In fact, this machine can help you restore the dull drill bits that are laying around in your workshop or home and can save you the cost and inconvenience of having to invest in newer ones. In this guide, we will help you identify the best drill bit sharpener on the market.
Factors you should know before buying
The process of picking the best drill bit sharpener that is ideal for you is a fairly simple process. You just need to make sure that whatever model you are getting has the features and attributes that are essential for a smooth operation and a high-quality performance. Here’s what you have to pay attention to:
Constraints of the holder
The constraints of the holder should be able to accommodate your drill bits. Make sure to check their size to determine whether or not they are a right fit.
The general rule of “you get what you pay for “applies here too. While you might be able to find some tempting bargains, it is advisable to stay clear of the majority of entry-level options due to the questionable build quality.
Ease of use
If you are a beginner, it is imperative that you opt for a drill bit sharpener that is easy to use. Some models are more geared toward professionals and are therefore not ideal for novice hobbyists.
What Differentiate a Good Drill Bit Sharpener from the Rest?
Creating very precise and accurate holes either on woods or metals will require sharp drill bits. Drill bits usually encounter a heavy task and workout drilling through these hard materials especially when there is a high combination of pressure, speed and perhaps torque.
Proper maintenance of drill bits is paramount. They come in all manner of styles that are meant for various purposes and projects that the user will be involved in. One of the most important maintenance practice that you should know is sharpening the drill bits.
The most modern tool for doing this job is a drill bit sharpener. Your drilling will be time-consuming and hard if you don’t have sharp drill bits. Some of the factors that will help you in getting the best drill bit sharpener have been listed here. Besides, you need to know the full portrait of a good drill bit sharpener before making a purchase decision. Here is what differentiates a great drill bit sharpener with other normal drill bit sharpeners:
It has features that suit your need
A good sharpener will have features that suit the needs and preferences of your workshop. These features will help you to accomplish your much-needed tasks within a short period of time and with very little effort. Look for a drill bit sharpener that has more features than the usual and ordinary ones.
They are built with high-quality materials
Your drill bit sharpener has to be made of durable materials else you will end up wasting your money. These drill bit sharpener we have listed here have been proven to be of great quality. Quality will automatically translate to durability.
They are from a reliable brand
Well, many people tend to think that the brand doesn’t matter but in the real sense, you have to consider the brand from which you are buying. It is advisable you go for the brands that have been in the market for years. They have the required spare parts and the experience needed to make quality machines.
They come with a warranty
A reliable brand has confidence in whichever product they release in the market and warranty is one way of showing that they trust in their product. A great drill bit sharpener should be accompanied by a year or more warranty.
It has great design and makes
This basically refers to the comfort it gives you when you are using it not necessarily its appearance. It must be user-friendly that even the newbies can use it without any struggles; it should complement its functionality.
Best drill bit sharpener reviews
1 – Drill Bit Sharpener Tormek DBS-22
- 4-facet point brings the point to a chisel edge that will not walk and bores...
- The always equal two cutting edges are sharpened symmetrically and work in...
- Sharpens all point angles between 90 and 150 degrees
- The optimal clearance angle can be set according to each drilling requirement to...
This is without a doubt one of the top options on the market today. This drill bit sharpener owes most of its effectiveness and efficiency to the unique four-facet grinding design that allows it to operate in a wide range of applications. It has the ability to create a bit that produces less heat than the vast majority of the competition and features a water-cooled sharpening system that is extremely precise and stable when handling your tools. Furthermore, the sharpener is fully adjustable and can easily be adapted according to your own angle preferences.
- The four facet point design
- It creates two identical cutting edges
- Suited for a wide range of tools
- The clearance angle is easily adjustable
- Has the ability to sharpen all points between 90 and 150 degrees
- The cross slide is hard to stabilize
- It comes with a relatively steep learning curve
2 – Drill Doctor DD350X 350X Drill Bit Sharpener
- SHARPENS STANDARD DRILL BITS – from 3/32" to 1/2" standard twist bits. Ideal...
- PROFESSIONAL DESIGN & CONSTRUCTED FOR DURABILITY - industrial-strength diamond...
- TWO EASY STEPS - eliminates the need for alignment port & simplifies the...
- 3-YEAR WARRANTY - protects every Drill Doctor bit sharpener against defects due...
This drill bit sharpener’s biggest selling point is the convenience and practicality that it offers to the user. The design is geared toward making use as easy as possible and features a front-loading chuck with simplified alignment and sharpening procedures. It has the capacity to sharpen from 3/32 to 1/2 standard twist bits with 118 degrees in a fast and remarkably accurate manner. Moreover, the sharpener does not necessitate the use of an alignment port which makes the sharpening process significantly faster and easier.
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- Features an easy two steps design that eliminates the need for alignment port
- It boasts a sturdy and durable construction
- Compatible with various types of wood and light metals
- It is easy to use if you some level of familiarity with these tools
- The placement of the plastic surround is poor
- The instructions can be confusing at times
3 – Neiko 10170A Electric Drill Bit Sharpener
- Allows you to extend the useful life of bits, maintain high quality bits
- Includes two heads with clearly marked guide holes; Small head fits bits from...
- \Works with both carbon steel and high speed steel (carbide); For bits used on...
- Thermal protection stops overheating while rubber feet provide stability,...
This tool’s effectiveness lies in its ability to operate on a wide range of materials. It can handle anything from light wood to carbon steel and is remarkably fast and precise for the price point. It is equipped with a set of sturdy rubber feet that provides the sharpener with more stability and steadiness compared to other affordable models. Another interesting feature is the thermal protection that is effective when it comes to preventing overheating and ensuring that the tool runs smoothly at all times.
- The affordable price
- Includes thermal protection to prevent overheating
- It is equipped with rubber feet for more stability
- Powered by a 0.5 amp motor
- It doesn’t feel sturdy enough
- Finding spare parts of this tool can be difficult
4 – XtremepowerUS All in 1 Multi purpose Power Drill Bit Scissor Knife Plane Chisel Sharpener
- High Speed Drill Sharpener;Input Power: 70 Watt @ 110 Volt
- Knife & Scissor Sharpener; Chisel & Plane Sharpener; Drill bit Sharpener
- Sharpens Straight Edge Chisel and Plane Blades from 1/4" ~ 2" Wide
- Max Speed - 4800 RPM (No Load);Max. Wheel Diameter: 2"
This is another affordable option that is specifically designed for people who simply need an inexpensive sharpener that can do an adequate job. This sharpener is fairly powerful considering its good price. It can handle knives and scissors of all sizes as well as the chisels and planes from drill bits. It has a maximum speed of 4800 RPM and boasts an impressive input power of around 70 Watts.
- The motor is fairly powerful
- The maximum speed is decent
- Great value for the price
- The sharpening wheel is well made
- The housing is surprisingly sturdy and durable
- The tool is not easy to use
- It is hard to maintain a perfect alignment
5 – Drill Doctor 750X Drill Bit Sharpener for High-Speed Steel
- Built to handle larger drill bits up to ¾”
- Adjustable material take-off
- Offers additional custom flexibility
This premium sharpener is tailored for the needs of experienced users and boasts all the features that you would need in a high-quality tool. It sharpens a multitude of drill bits of all shapes and sizes and has the peerless capacity to provide impressive sharpness thanks to its perfect alignment. More importantly, it is made from durable materials and looks sturdy enough to withstand prolonged use. This sharpener is the ideal tool if you want to extend the life of your bits and get the most out of them.
- Comes with comprehensive and clear instructions
- It is extremely effective when it comes to extending the life of your bits
- Well-made and durable
- Provides a perfect alignment
- The finish on the ground surfaces is a little bit rough
- The setup is time-consuming
The best drill bit sharpener should meet all the baseline requirements for an effective power tool. Fortunately for you, every option in your detailed guide meets that criteria, it is up to you to opt for the one that is tailored for your needs, budget, and level of familiarity with this kind of machine.
Last update on 2020-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API