Best Pole Saw
Best Pole Saw 2019 – Buying Guide and Expert Reviews
Having a spacious garden in the home is a luxury that few people can afford. However, even this joyful space comes with a number of tedious chores that can become unmanageable with each passing day. One such chore is dealing with the dense bushes and overhanging branches that seem to be constantly increasing in number despite your best efforts to maintain your garden in a proper and healthy manner. The most common cause of this problem is the fact that most people neglect to use the effective tools that can reach every corner of the garden and trim everything the right way. In this guide, we will delve into every single aspect of one of these tools and we will help you pick the best pole saw on the market today.
Factors you should know
Like any tool that is designed for use in the garden, there are several factors that affect the overall quality and functionality of pole saws. Before committing to a particular option, here are some of the features and attributes that you need to be familiar with:
The weight of the tool
When working with any type of garden tool, being able to freely maneuver the unit is an essential quality. This is especially the case when talking about pole saws. Heavy units are extremely difficult to hold for an extended period of time and are likely to slip from your hand when you are working on high branches. The optimal weight will depend on the physical makeup and strength of each person, but we would recommend you to get a pole saw that weighs less than 15 pounds.
The height of the pole
The pole saw that you get should have sufficient height in order to reach high branches. While this might sound like a fairly straightforward attribute, you should know that a number of manufacturers include the estimated length of your arm when they display the supposed length of the pole. Pay close attention to the fine print on the tool’s specs to find out the actual working height of the pole. It is also worth noting that after a certain height, the unit becomes difficult to control. Generally speaking, anything between 8 and 12 foot should be enough to reach most high overhanging branches.
The length of the cutting bar
The length of the cutting bar lets you know the diameter of the branches that you can trim with the pole saw. Ideally, the cutting bar should at least two inches longer than the branch you’re trimming. You should avoid the common mistake of getting a cutting bar that exactly matches the diameter of the branch. This will inevitably lead to uneven cuts and can ultimately cause irreparable damage to the cutting bar itself.
The noise levels
One of the major inconveniences of working with garden tools is their tendency to generate a lot of noise. This can be an issue if you have a small garden that is adjacent to your living or to a neighbor’s house. Noise levels are measured in decibels, and while some manufacturers display that metric in the specs, the majority neglect to do so. The best way to go about finding a quiet pole saw is to go over customer reviews and read their own experiences with a particular model.
If you are getting a pole saw that runs on gas, you need to watch out for the fuel efficiency of the unit. Most manufacturers claim that their tool is fuel efficient, but in a lot of cases this is far from the case. Pole saws that have low emissions and decent fuel consumption are easily recognized by their slim and efficient design that contributes tremendously to how fuel is used.
What type of pole saw should you get?
When picking a pole saw, you generally have three options to choose from; Gas pole saws, best electric pole saws, and cordless pole saws. Each option has a set of advantages and drawbacks. To help you determine which one is one is best suited for your needs; here is a brief overview of what each option has to offer:
- Electric pole saw reviews: This is the ideal option for a small garden. They emit less noise than gas-powered saws and are relatively affordable compared to other options. They also tend to be lighter and easier to maneuver. While they are capable of cutting most types of branches, they lack the power to handle very large areas.
- Cordless pole saw reviews: The typical cordless saw can generate enough torque to handle both small and large gardens. The main convenience that they offer relative to the first option is the lack of restriction that is caused by the cord. They are quite powerful and some of the more expensive models come equipped with a high-quality battery that can hold a charge for an extended period of time.
- Gas pole saw reviews: This is the most powerful and expensive type of pole saw. They are designed to handle any type of work in your garden regardless of the size of the area or the thickness of the branches. They are ideal for use in remote areas with no electricity. However, they are not the most environmentally-friendly option and the recurring cost of using them is substantially higher than the two other alternatives.
The best pole saw reviews
1 – Greenworks 8-Inch 6.5 Amp Corded Pole Saw with Case 20192
The first item in our list is this amazing unit from GreenWorks. It is specifically designed to cut through all types of branches in a quick and effortless manner and it boasts a tremendous amount of attributes and practical qualities that differentiate it from the rest of the pack. It is compact, easy to assemble, and simple to use. It is powered by a good 6.5 amp and features an 8-inch Oregon chain and bar. Furthermore, it is fully adjustable due to the fact that the aluminum shaft can be extended to reach high branches with relative ease.
Some of the other qualities that make this pole saw such a great option include is low energy consumption, the ease with which you can tighten the chain, and the convenient automatic oiler that enhances the longevity and durability of the pole saw by applying oil to the bar and chain.
As far as overall durability and quality of build are concerned, we can safely state that the GreenWorks pole has surpassed our expectations. The aluminum shaft felt robust enough to handle exposure to the various elements of the outdoors and all the parts looked well-made and securely attached to the frame. This is definitely a product that is made to work under any conditions.
- A relatively low price for the quality that you are getting
- It is easy to use
- It has a compact and lightweight design
- It doesn’t emit a loud noise while operating at full capacity
- It comes with a lengthy 4-year warranty
- The extendable aluminum shaft is ideal for reaching high branches
- Checking the oil level is rather difficult
- It is prone to leaking some oil
2 – Worx WG309 Electric Pole Saw
WORX has always been at the forefront of innovation in the market. This latest offering from the company exemplifies its commitment to crafting well-designed and competitively priced tools. The WG309 is tailored for cutting small and medium branches and boasts a decent 8 amp motor that is capable of providing ample power for extended cutting and pruning work. As for the pole, it is sufficiently long and is capable of reaching high branches with minimal effort on your part. Another great thing about this tool is the quality of the handle; not only is it sturdy and easy to grip, but it also has a rotatable design that provides you with great control over the tool which in turn makes cutting and trimming thick branches a much easier and enjoyable process.
One of the main components that make the WG309 such an effective tool is without a doubt the sharp and extremely precise 10 inch bar. It is capable of cutting different types of branches ranging from thin twigs to thick boughs. Additionally, the pole can also double as a chainsaw which will allow you to cut logs that are quite large and thick.
On top of its great design and impressive versatility, the Worx has some fairly unique characteristics that are hard to find in other models, namely the innovative auto-tensioning chain system that plays a significant role in extending the lifespan of the tool.
- It is very effective when it comes to cutting medium-sized branches
- Has an efficient slim design
- It is equipped with a proprietary auto-tensioning chain system
- It can double as a chainsaw in order to cut through logs
- It is fairly heavy compared to other poles in this price range
3 – BLACK+DECKER LPP120 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Pole Saw
Needless to say, cordless tools offer a level of convenience that is simply unmatched by any other alternative. That is why we made sure to include a battery-powered option on our list. This particular model was made by Black & Decker, one of the most trusted manufacturers of garden appliances and tools for over a century. The LPP120 pole saw owes most of its power to the huge 20 volt battery that produces enough power for a wide array of chores in your garden. Moreover, it is equipped with a well-designed 10 inch cutting bar that works extremely well on branches as thick as 8 inches in diameter.
The battery life is a critical aspect that determines a cordless tool’s ability to provide a smooth, mobile, and uninterrupted operation. The LPP120 comes with a great lithium-ion battery that can remain functional for a long time even when you are doing heavy chores like pruning or cutting thick branches and boughs.
Another great quality that this pole saw has is its lightweight construction. This makes it easy to maneuver and allows you to work in different awkward angles without exerting a lot of effort or worrying about the tool slipping from your hand. This is one of the best cordless pole saw.
- The battery life can sustain more than an hour of continuous work
- It comes with an energy star-qualified charger
- Features an extension that allows for a useable length of up to 14 feet
- The design of the pole saw is light and compact
- It is effective when it comes to cutting high branches
- It breaks down into three parts which allows for easy storage
- The chain comes loose quite often
- The chain requires frequent manual pole saw oiling
4 – Oregon Cordless PS250-A6 Pole Saw Kit
As one of the more expensive options in our list, this model has everything that you’d expect to see in this price point. It features an extendable heavy duty shaft that is made from premium fiberglass and it has the capacity to reach heights upwards of 15 feet. The cutting bar measures around 8 inches and is designed to cut through thick branches in a quick and seamless fashion. The Oregon Cordless PS250 is an ideal option for anyone who has a large garden with tall trees. An area that fits that description requires a tool that can easily reach the branches that are difficult to access with your standard entry-level unit.
The motor that powers the PS250 is especially impressive. It gives the tool the torque that is needed for doing rough chores and its ability to deliver a consistent and smooth operation is simply invaluable for a pole saw. On top of the powerful motor, the two main contributing factors are the high-speed chain and the 4.0Ah volt max lithium-ion battery that ensures a stable performance for extended periods of time. With the PS250, you can expect to perform more than 500 cuts in rapid succession and without worrying about the battery life or about the motor letting up.
- The motor that powers the tool delivers a high level of performance
- The battery life is impressive
- It features an adjustable collar that will help you high branches
- It is equipped with an automatic oiler
- It has an indicator window that lets you check oil levels
- The mid-mount motor design reduces the size of the cutting head
- It is quite expensive
- The plastic top that holds the chain doesn’t feel that sturdy
5 – Remington RM2599 Maverick 25cc 2-Cycle 8-Inch Gas Pole Saw
Versatility and flexibility are the two main qualities that enabled this pole saw to land in our list. This affordable tool was designed with the intention of creating an all-encompassing unit that can handle a wide range of chores in your garden. The RM2599 does what many high-end and significantly more expensive options fail to do, and that is to provide a combination of powerful performance, ease of use, and energy efficiency. While it is effective enough to handle any type of branches, this unit truly shines when it comes to pruning and cutting small to medium branches and boughs. The cutting head measures around 8 inches and it is entirely removable, which allows you to use the pole saw as a trimmer or as a leaf blower.
Don’t let the lightweight feel of the pole fool you. In fact, it has a very sturdy construction that can withstand rough handling and it is mostly made from robust steel. More importantly, it is not malleable like some other poles in this price range, a quality that is needed in order to effectively complete garden chores.
As we have previously mentioned, one of the main selling points of this unit is the efficient manner with which it manages fuel. With only a single tank of gas, the pole saw is able to function smoothly and maintain a stable level of performance. Due to these features it’s one of the best gas pole saw.
- The pole saw boasts great fuel efficiency
- It provides great value for the affordable price
- It can be used to trim hedges
- It has a slim and balanced design
- It needs a few minutes to warm up in order to become operational
- It might be too loud for some users
The products that we reviewed for this guide are some of the best pole saws on the market today. Each saw boasts the high level of durability that we like to see in garden tools and offers the top quality performance that will make maintaining your garden a fun and effortless time. But due to the inherent difference s between each type of pole saw, it is up to you to pick the model that suits your needs and fits your budget.