A splitting maul is a handheld tool that allows you to chop wood into smaller pieces. While its function might sound identical to that of a regular ax, the main difference between the two lies in the fact that the splitting maul is significantly heavier and has a much wider head. This results in a bigger impact which makes the process of cutting wood easier and more effective. In this guide, we will go over some of the main characteristics of these tools and we will help you find the best splitting maul for the money.
Splitting mauls are not exactly the most complex tools out there and you should be able to assess their quality with ease upon close inspection. However, since you are not afforded the luxury of examining each unit by hand, we have decided to go over some of the main features that should be present in a great splitting maul.
The quality of the handle
This aspect is extremely important when you are looking for a splitting maul. The handle needs to be comfortable and easy to grip in order to provide the necessary support that allows you to deliver powerful and impactful strikes without exerting a lot of physical effort. Moreover, a comfortable handle reduces hand fatigue when you are working for an extended period of time.
Proper weight distribution
A good splitting maul should be well-balanced with and must have an efficient design. The weight of the head should be proportional to the length of the handle and the mainframe should be heavy enough to support it. Proper weight distribution makes it easy to swing the splitting maul.
The quality of the blade
The design and shape of the blade is another essential factor that should not be ignored. While there are several types of blades on the market, it is generally advisable to opt for the traditional thin blade that features wedges on the side. This design is preferred by a number of experts because it enhances the splitting force of the tool by adding more weight to the head.
The splitting maul head
The head of the splitting maul is where many manufacturers fall short. If it is too light, it won’t be able to deliver powerful strikers, but if it is too heavy, it would make the tool extremely hard to carry and maneuver. An effective head should have a balanced weight that enables to generate ample force with minimal effort on your part.
Best Splitting Maul Reviews
1 – FISKARS X27 SUPER SPLITTING AX, 36-INCH
- Ideal for taller users splitting medium- to large-sized logs
- Designed for maximum efficiency to give you more one-strike splits. Textured...
- Perfected balance and power-to-weight ratio increases swing speed to multiply...
- Advanced bevel convex blade geometry adds power and makes the blade easier to...
The Fiskars x27 is designed to handle medium and large logs without requiring a significant amount of effort from the user. It is sturdy, well made, and has the necessary balance that enables you to perform the fast and accurate swing that can cut through any type of wood. The weight distribution is ideal and the handle provides a strong and fairly comfortable grip. Furthermore, this splitting maul is equipped with a unique blade that facilitates the process of removing it from the wood. Definitely one of the best wood splitting maul.
One of the biggest selling points of this unit is the fact that it tends to the needs of a large segment of the population; taller people. Thanks to its long design and balanced proportions, tall users can easily use it without having to hunch over or compromise their posture. This is one of te reasons why its the best splitting maul.
- This is an ideal tool for tall users
- The weight distribution is great
- The handle is sturdy and easy to grip
- The blade provides extra power and doesn’t get stuck in the wood
- The price is affordable
- Too light for some extra-large logs
- The nonstick coating looks clumsy and prone to peeling off
2 – Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul 36 Inch
- Ideal for splitting wood (splitting face) or driving wedges and stakes (driving...
- Optimized blade geometry offers better penetration and blasts tough logs apart
- Patented IsoCore Shock Control System absorbs strike shock and vibration to...
- Inseparable riveted head will not slide down or snap off, even when swinging...
This is another offering from Fiskars. This is one of the top selling units on the market which is surely a testament to its effectiveness and overall quality. One of the most interesting things about this splitting maul is the design of the handle. It was made using the company’s very own IsoCore Shock Control System, and as the name suggests, this feature’s main role is to reduce the vibrations that are associated with the impact of the swing. This results in a stable penetration and a substantially more accurate cutting angle when you are working on a log.
As far as the quality of the build is concerned, this unit covers all the bases covers and boasts the durability and robustness that you expect from a high-quality splitting maul. To further drive this point home, Fiskars offers a lifetime warranty to their customers.
- It boasts an effective anti-vibration mechanism
- The blade provides tremendous penetration
- The level of craftsmanship is simply exquisite
- It is competitively priced
- The Insulation sleeve is a good shock absorber
- Some reviewers found the handle to be a little bit uncomfortable
3 – TABOR TOOLS J55A Splitting Axe
- SPLITS LARGE LOGS. Ideal for splitting larger wood logs. Optimized blade...
- HEAD WITH WING DESIGN AND RESHARPENABLE BLADE. Balanced head with wings provides...
- FIBERGLASS HANDLE WITH COMFORT GRIP. The sturdy 32” fiberglass handle (35"...
- EASY STORAGE. The blade comes with a rubber protective band for safe storage and...
This sleek looking tool should satisfy the needs of even the most demanding users out there. It has the capacity to cut through very large logs and is equipped with a well-optimized blade that ensures more concise penetration when dealing with tough wood. Additionally, the blade can easily be re-sharpened using a file and features a fully polished finished edge. As for the quality of the handle, you will be glad to know that it exceeded our expectations. It is made from top grade sturdy fiberglass and has ample cushioning for a firm and comfortable grip.
When it comes to any type of appliance, easy storage is always a factor that you should keep in mind before opting for a particular unit. The J55A boasts a number of attributes that lend themselves to easy and convenient storage. Besides having a slim and compact design, it also comes with a rubber protective band that allows you to safely store it just about anywhere in your house.
- The fiberglass handle is sturdy and comfortable
- The blade can be easily re-sharpened
- It is easy to store
- The bright color of the handle makes the tool easy to locate
- It requires frequent sharpening
- The head is softer than we’d like
4 – 1844 Helko Werk Germany Traditional Splitting Maul
- HANDMADE IN GERMANY The Professional splitting maul is built to withstand...
- GRADE A AMERICAN HICKORY HANDLE - LINSEED OIL FINISH - 150 GRIT SANDED -...
- C50 HIGH CARBON STEEL - 53-56 HRC - The Helko designed head made specifically as...
- INCLUDES FULL GRAIN LEATHER SHEATH - 1 OZ. BOTTLE OF AXE GUARD PROTECTIVE OIL -...
This is a great option for anyone who appreciates the classic design of the old splitting mauls. This German-made tool is remarkably robust and is mostly destined for professional use. It is extremely effective when it comes to handling large chunks of log and its blade provides maximum penetration without requiring that much effort from you. Moreover, the hell of the blade comes equipped with a practical small turnaround hook that facilitates log moving.
As for the tool’s ability to resist wear and breakage, the manufacturer has decided to include a steel overstrike protector that protects the shaft of the splitting maul from missed swings and hard impacts. For even more protection, the package also contains a 1oz bottle of Axe-Guard protective oil.
- It boasts a classy retro design
- It has the capacity to handle very large logs
- Well suited for tall people
- Comes with a steel protector that shields it from wear and breakage
- The screws of the handle guard are relatively loose
5 – Truper 32415 12-Pound Splitting Maul with 27-Inch Steel Handle
- Exceeds ASME Standard B107.54M
- 27-Inch Handle
- 12-Pound Splitting Maul
- Short steel handle will split heavy logs
The eye-catching bright red color of this splitting maul might not be for everybody, but rest assured, the Truper 32415 is more than capable of dealing with large and tough logs in an effective and easy fashion and it is without a doubt an option that is worth considering. This tool has a sturdy handle that offers a firm grip and it is heavy enough to deliver powerful strikes that can penetrate deep into the wood and that feature makes it also one of the best wood splitting maul. This quality is further enhanced thanks to the balanced weight distribution that has become a hallmark of all Truper products. Upon close inspection, the blade looks very sharp and feels durable enough to handle hard impacts.
- It comes at a very low price
- The tool is heavy enough to deliver impactful strikes with each swing
- The weight distribution is outstanding
- The extra handle is easy to grip
- The color is quite unique
- The handle might be too short for some users
- There is no vibration-reducing mechanism
How to Keep Your Splitting Maul in Perfect Working Condition
As long as you have used some dollars in purchasing something, wisdom demand that you take care of it for it to serve its purpose and see the value for your money. A splitting maul is one of the important tools that has been used by woodworkers to split open some logs. If the tool is sharp and well-maintained, it works perfectly.
You have known the factors to look out for especially weight, before purchasing this handy tool. If you go for something that is too heavy to lift, you will end up consuming a lot of time to do your job. It is also important to know some of the maintenance practices that will make your splitting maul be in a perfect working condition. Here are some of them:
- Scrubbing the maul
Immediately after use, ensure that you use a wire brush to scrub off all the accumulated dirt on the head of your maul. A splitting maul is a hard metal and you should not be afraid of scrubbing it hard. This will help you remove fluids and sap that it perhaps got from the wood fibers.
- Sand it out
The wire brush may not fully remove all the dirt and fluids that have stuck on the maul. This is where you use sandpaper to do the scrubbing. This will ensure that the head is well-polished and in perfect condition.
- Remove any rust
Don’t allow any rust to form on the metallic part. Rust usually comes when you expose you expose your splitting maul to harsh weather condition or store it in a place where there is excess moisture. Use steel wool to remove the last and ensure you oil the head of the maul to ensure no rust forms every time before storing the tool.
- Always sharpen it
If you don’t want to use excessive force and energy, then you have to keep your maul in a well-sharpened form. Avoid blunt mauls that will leave you tired even after a little task. Use a file to sharpen the splitting maul or a sharpening machine.
- Keep inspecting the handle
The handle is the other part of the splitting maul that facilitates its functionality. Always ensure that the handle is in place and is not flexing or sharking. It must be firmly fixed. It is advisable to replace the handle if it is displaying signs of weakness like cracks to avoid some dangerous ordeals when working.
After reading this guide, you should have a firm grasp of what makes a great splitting maul. It is up to you to pick the one that you like the most, safe in the knowledge that each of the tools that we reviewed in this guide is excellent and more than capable of exceeding your expectations.
Last update on 2020-04-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API