Zero turn mowers are probably the most popular and the best of them all. They are small, powerful and compact. Here we will be focused on the zero turn mowers reviews and we will include the buyer’s guide which will help you get the best model according to your preferences and needs. First of all, a zero-turn mower has the ability to turn at a degree of 0 degrees, meaning that you can rotate it anywhere you want. This is the main reason why they are so popular.
Factors To Consider When Looking For A Brand New Zero Turn Mower
Obviously, zero turn mowers reviews wouldn’t be complete without a buyer’s guide, the well-known section that can help you find the best product or in this case the best zero turn mower. The first thing to remember is yes, these machines are complicated, so they have a lot of factors that must be taken into consideration if you are looking for the best unit. On the other hand, all of these factors are obvious and easy to understand. They are still essential to take into account if you are looking for a brand new zero turn mower and you are looking for the best results as well.
Of course, the engine found in a mower of this kind is the essential element. It can make a huge difference and help you get the job done easier than ever. But, we can see several different types of engines and their sizes. If you use a lawnmower on an uneven terrain, you are going to need more power! If you are using it on a flat terrain, you are going to need less power. If you are planning to use it on different terrains, more power is always a smart choice.
The height of the grass will determine this factor as well. If you are planning to use the zero turn mower on a higher grass, you will need more power.
Keep in mind that power source must be taken into consideration as well. Most models use gasoline, so we will rate them as the most popular ones. But, there are plenty of units that use diesel or gas. Always choose a mower which runs on fuel that is the most accessible for you.
As you may believe, this factor is more than just important. It can make a huge difference in time you are going to invest in completing the task. Top speed will depend on several factors and the main one is the engine. More powerful engines offer higher speeds and less powerful lower speeds. In general, entry-level mowers of this kind will reach 7 mph. More advanced or semi-professional will reach 9 mph. But, commercial grade units will reach 14 mph, which is impressive. This means that you will get a job done 70% quicker than usual.
The factor here will be defined by the size of the lawn you must process. If it is big, you will need higher top speed and vice versa.
Here you will have two options. The first one is well-known and it has been among us as long as the zero-turn lawn mowers were. Basically, you will have two levers which will be used for movement. Each one controls the power output on a single rear wheel. Adding the power to a single wheel will make the mower turn. It is a simple system that requires plenty of time to get used to. It is different than anything else you have tried, so you will need some time to understand it.
A more appealing and more sophisticated alternative is a joystick. It is controlled by one hand only, so it is much easier. Of course, this is still a new system, so it is reserved for more complicated, more professional mowers. It may be difficult to find one within the price range you are looking at.
Deck type is more than a just important factor. It varies and it is defined by the position of the deck. Front deck models are more popular in Europe and they are very maneuverable. Mid deck units are the most popular in the United States. It is up to you to decide which type is more appealing to you. Both of them will get the job done instantly and there won’t be any complications. However, we must recommend that if you have a smaller lawn with a lot of obstacles, a front deck mower is a better type.
Size of a deck
A cutting deck on your mower comes in different sizes and it has different capabilities. Anyway, nowadays there are more than 5-6 types. We will have to explain each one, due to the fact each type is preferable for a single use or a purpose.
- Less than 42 inches- These mowers are commonly considered as entry-level or affordable versions. They do come in all possible engine types and with different capabilities. Nevertheless, the main purpose is cutting lawns which are up to 1 acre in size. Anything bigger will require bigger mower as well. Try to remember that these mowers are unstable on slopes, so they shouldn’t be used on areas where slopes are bigger than 10%.
- 42-46 inches- These mowers are great for lawns around 1 acre in size. They are 30% quicker than the first type here and they can make a huge difference. In addition, look for 2-blade models because they are the best and offer the best performances.
- 48-50 inches- Mowers of this kind will be perfect for lawns up to 3 acres. Two things must be considered. The first one is that this unit is 20% quicker than the previously mentioned type and the second fact is that the smallest one will need 54 inches of width in order to pass.
- 52-54 inches- Here things are even more interesting and units of this kind are considered as semi-professional. They are up to 40% quicker than 42-inch models, so they are desirable. Of course, they are not very good with narrow spaces and obstacles.
- 60-61 inches- Yes, these are professional machines and they can cut up to 5 acres per an hour. This is possible thanks to a powerful engine and a power of up to 25HP.
- 72 inches- These are the biggest mowers of this kind. They are designed and made to cut through huge properties and to provide supreme results. Of course, entry-level models will have underpowered engines, so they are not recommended. As a matter of fact, an average 61 inch model will be faster and better. But, a high-end 72 inch model is the ultimate cutting machine.
As you can see, the true need can make a size of your lawn. If you have a massive lawn, the smallest zero turn mower won’t be very efficient. If you have a small lawn, the biggest one won’t use all of its potential, so mix and match.
Wheels are more than just important due to simple facts. They must provide an excellent grip at all times, even when the grass is wet and they affect the stability of the mower. The wider the wheels, more stable the mower will be and vice versa. As you can see, all the models we tested have massive rear wheels, simply because they offer better traction and they can meet the expectations of many. Important: Never use a small zero turn mower on a slope or steam area because they are not safe or stable enough.
Zero turn mowers with baggers
Some models come with bags or baggers used to collect grass for easier disposal. Some have these accessories as an optional extra and some don’t use them at all. This depends on an individual mower, so you will have to pay a close attention to the compatibility before you order it.
Top 5 Best Zero Turn Mowers
Husqvarna 967271701 54″ 23HP Kawasaki- Best High-End Zero-Turn Mower
- Air Induction Mowing Technology allows for air to be drawn from the top and...
- Worry free performance with maintenance free, integrated zero-turn transmissions
- The stamped steel cutting deck is reinforced with heavy flat-stock steel for...
- The deck lift system is spring assisted for ease of use and conveniently located...
If you are looking for the best zero turn mower, this one has to be taken into consideration. It has it all, meaning that this model is sophisticated, equipped with the latest technology and it offers one of the best frames among all models available nowadays.
Air induction mowing technology
Of all technologies that can be seen in mowers of this kind, this one is the most important. What it does is uses air to lift the grass from the ground and make a much better cut. The results are visible instantly and the overall effect is much better.
Yes, this lawn mower doesn’t require any maintenance. As a matter of fact, all the elements can work for a long period of time without a need to be repaired or replaced that’s why it can be one of the best used zero turn mowers. This also applies to the turning mechanism, which is one of the best in the class.
- Manufacturer: Husqvarna
- Power: 23 HP
- Weight: 690
- Dimensions: 75 x 67.5 x 42 inches
- Power source: Gasoline
- Maintenance free
- Great and strong frame
- Impressive deck
- Durable engine
- Air induction mowing technology
- Battery terminals
- Assembly process is time-consuming
Husqvarna 967334101- Best Commercial Zero-Turn Mower
- Air induction mowing technology draws air from the top and bottom of the deck,...
- The reliable Endurance Commercial 25 HP engine with cyclonic air filtration...
- The stamped cutting deck is reinforced with heavy flat-stock steel for added...
- 3 year limited consumer warranty
The model we have here is a bit special. It is a commercial version of the most popular lawn mower we have here. This particular one comes with a 3 year warranty and with advanced systems, including a more powerful engine. Nevertheless, it is economical and easy to use. In addition, it is more than just suitable for those who have plenty of lawn surface to process.
Reinforced cutting deck
When it comes to cutting grass, this lawn mower has it all. It is reinforced and it features the latest cutting deck which is simply stunning. In addition, this is now standard for all zero turn mowers made by this manufacturer.
The engine in this unit is almost standard, but it has been specifically improved in order to meet commercial needs. As such, it offers 25 HP, instead of 23 HP and it has more advanced air filtration system, which will ensure that the engine runs smoothly and without any issues. On a single tank, this unit will operate between 4.5 and 5 hours.
- Manufacturer: Husqvarna
- Engine: 25 HP
- Power source: Gasoline
- Weight: 840 pounds
- Dimensions: 90.5 x 59 x 34.5 inches
- Warranty: 3 years
- Commercial grade quality
- Advanced air filtration system
- Great gas mileage
- Reinforced deck
- Factory blades are not great
- Attention to details
Husqvarna MZ61 27 HP Zero Turn Mower- The Most Powerful Mower
- Husqvarna 61 in. zero-turn lawn mower from the MZ series delivers...
- 27 HP Briggs Endurance engine provides reliable startups and high ground speeds
- Fabricated 11-gauge steel cutting deck offers an excellent 54 in. cut with an...
- Clippings can be discharged, mulched or bagged with a 9-bushel triple bag...
If you are looking for pure power, this zero turn lawn mower is the best choice. It has 27 HP, so the engine is more powerful than some commercial models have. But, there are additional, sophisticated and advanced systems that must be taken into consideration as well. After all, this is a high-end model.
The engine which we have mentioned is special. It has a total power of 27 HP, which makes it one of the most powerful in the class. Furthermore, it is a Briggs and Stratton Endurance V-Twin unit, so we know that it is durable, it will last longer and there won’t be any issues with it.
3 blade cutting system
The next best thing about this lawn mower is the cutting system. It has 3 blades, which is slightly more than other models have therefore cutting capabilities are obviously better. In essence, this model can provide excellent performances which will meet the expectations even of the most demanding users. Yes, the maintenance is a bit more complicated and replacing the blades will cost you extra, but the overall performance you will get is impressive no less.
- Fabricated cutting deck: 61 inches
- Engine: Briggs and Stratton Endurance V-Twin
- Power: 27 HP
- Transmission: Hydrostatic Gear Transmission
- Weight: 770 pounds
- Dimensions: 75.5 x 76 x 42 inches
- Power source: gasoline
- Superb engine
- Advanced cutting capabilities
- Hydrostatic Gear Transmission
- 3 blade cutting system
- Attention to details is the same as on more affordable models
Poulan Pro P46ZX Briggs V-Twin Pro 22 HP Cutting Deck Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower- Best Value For Money
- 22 HP Briggs v-twin pro engine
- 46-Inch stamped reinforced deck 10 year warranty
- Hydro gear EZT transmission
- Electric clutch
For some of you, this model is going to be the most appealing of them all. It is sophisticated, modern and it offers great cutting capabilities. In a nutshell, this unit has it all and it is even affordable, considering how much other models cost.
Reinforced deck with 10 years warranty
The most advanced and the most impressive feature of them all is the reinforced deck, which comes superbly. In general, you get supreme quality and a long warranty. The warranty itself is 10 years, so you will be free if stress and anything similar for a long period of time. This form of warranty is still rare and there are no a lot of models that offer it.
The most advanced system here is the one you cannot see. It is the clutch. While model models have a cable operated or hydraulic, this one has an electric powered system. In essence, this means that the use of the lawnmower is more comfortable and more appealing at the same time.
- Power: 22 HP
- Engine: Briggs v-twin pro
- Fuel tank capacity: 3.5 gallons
- Clutch: Electric
- Transmission: Hydro gear EZT
- Warranty: 3 years and 10 years on the deck
- Weight: 750 pounds
- Dimensions: 78 x 61.5 x 35.5 inches
- Electric clutch
- Powerful and economic engine
- Great warranty
- Possible issues with the bagging system
- Common flat tires
Troy-Bilt Mustang 46 22HP 46-Inch Zero-Turn Mower – Best Small and Compact Model
- Powerful 24 horsepower V-Twin Briggs & Stratton engine with top forward speeds...
- 46-inch cutting deck for large landscapes and efficient cutting with integrated...
- 360 degree manuverability to save time without follow-up trimming and utilizes...
- 18-inch high back seat and dual suspension springs for a comfortable smooth ride
This may look like a small zero turn lawnmower, but it is well-known for offering impressive results and great specifications. It is reasonably priced and durable. Simply said, this small model has it all and it is more than just an appealing unit available on the market right now.
Fast and powerful
The engine on this unit produces 22HP, which is more than enough if we take into account its size and the weight. Impressively, this engine is sufficient for providing up to 7 mph of top speed. Yes, it is probably irrelevant for lawnmowers, but it is a nice thing to know.
Power Take Off
The system known as PTO is more than just appealing and interesting. It allows for you to start the blade almost instantly and effortlessly. In other words, the lawnmower will start cutting grass almost immediately you start it and it will perform it perfectly. The overall result is above average.
- Engine: V-Twin Briggs & Stratton
- Power: 22 HP
- Top speed: 7 mph
- Weight: 680 pounds
- Dimensions: 72.5 x 60 x 35.5 inches
- Fast and reliable model
- Durable and efficient engine
- Small and compact
- Great cutting capabilities
- Better wheels would be desirable
- Attention to details
How to Make Your Zero Turn Mower Last Longer
Zero turn mower is a great machine that has been used by many gardening companies, hobbyist, homeowners, and DIYers to make lawns look attractive. It is a great machine that can last long if it was bought from genuine and reliable brands. Fortunately, we have given you the factors you should consider when buying a zero turn mower to save you from falling into the pitfalls of fake mowers.
In addition, we have given you some of the edge cutting zero turn mowers that you should consider when doing your purchase. No matter how high-quality a mower is you will need to carry out some maintenance practices. This is a must if at all you want the equipment to last longer as expected. Here are some of the maintenance tips you should consider:
- Inspecting your mower before and after every use
This a basic principle that with it alone you can have your mower functional for years without break downs. Ensure that you check every part to confirm that it is working effectively. You should replace any broken, damaged or perhaps worn out part. You can also adjust any component that is loose and all the safety features are in place.
- Remember to change engine oil
Just as the oil in a car needs to be checked to be at an optimum level and to be changed, so is in a mower. If the oil is in good quantity and quality, then the engine of your mower will tend to last longer. Before using the machine check the oil, never do assumption.
- Sharpening your blades
When do you know it is time to sharpen your blade? It is when your zero turn mower is no longer producing clean cuts. If you have dull and damaged blades in your mower, then be sure that the quality of your cuts will be poor. Besides, you will consume more fuel if the blades are dull. You should balance the blades after sharpening them to ensure that there are no vibrations in your machine.
- Ensure the tires are in good condition
You will have even cuts if the tires are properly inflated. Well-inflated tires will last longer and enable fuel efficiency. Always read the manufacturers manual to know the recommended pressure.
- Replacing belts
Always check the tension of your belt before starting to mow. When you have a faulty belt, then be sure that your mower will not produce its full potential. Belts are prone to be cut, warped, nicked, frayed, twisted or thinned. Ensure it doesn’t reach such levels.
FAQ regarding zero turn mowers
What zero turn actually strands for?
The term is used to define the radius which is being used while the mower steers. As such, it means that these mowers can rotate around the central line.
How will I control the zero turn mower?
Almost all models have two handles that control rear wheels. They are used to accelerate and decelerate the speed of the wheel independently. An interesting fact is that tanks have the same or similar system.
Is a zero turn mower better than a lawn tractor?
Most people will tell you yes. Reasons are simple. A zero turn mower can steer better, has better cutting capabilities and it operates at a higher speed.
This is a still new technology?
Wrong. Zero turn mowers have been among us for some time, but they were reserved for commercial applications. Nowadays, they are a popular choice among homeowners due to the fact they are more and more affordable as we speak.
How will I stop my new mower?
You will have to use both handles. All you have to do is to pull them backward and the mower will stop. Keep in mind that there is no pedal-operated brake version, so you must use the just mentioned handles. Of course, you can use the parking brake to secure the mower, if it is equipped with one.
Why are zero turn mowers more expensive than lawn tractors?
They are more expensive because they have a bigger engine, more complicated and stronger frames and their steering is more complicated. You can think of them as an improved or upgraded lawn tractors.
Are slopes dangerous?
Sadly they can be an issue if they are bigger than 10 degrees. However, you will be fine if you move the mower up and down and you make so movements. For this application, we must recommend bigger, more powerful and wider mowers, simply due to the fact they are safer.
Are they reserved for big lawns only?
No, zero turn mowers are a great choice for all of you who are planning to make their mowing tasks much shorter. If you are looking for the best way to make your lawn smooth and special, this type of a mower is the best option.
What is the top speed of a zero turn lawn mower?
The top speed will depend on several factors. In general, it is around 7 mpg, but commercial and high-end models can reach 15-16 mph.
Here you were able to discover all about the best and the most detailed zero turn mowers reviews. We also guide you through the process of selecting the best zero turn mowers for your specific requirements and we believe that we presented you the best models available right now. In the end, all we can say is that the Husqvarna 967271701 is the bestselling and the best model here with 4 stars out of 5. We liked it a lot and we believe that it is just perfect. Of course, now is your turn to get a model you appreciate and the one that will make you a happy homeowner.
Last update on 2020-07-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API